Friday 3 June 2016

Personal: Why feminism is overly abused and is about revenge

We all know what's going on, a fight for equality for women and men.  Which I will add I completely support.


I've been doing my job solid for over a decade:
Should a woman earn as much as me if her qualifications and experience are the same level? Yes absolutely.  Should she be treated equaly on every level, in regards to her career choice, day to day job choice?  Totally.  Should a woman tolerate being treated poorly? absolutely not.


The above goes for everyone, regardless of gender, race or class.

Question though aimed at feminists fighting for equality, is this about what's right or revenge?


There seems to be a severe hypocrisy in regards to fighting for equality and remember that's what this is about.  Giving a woman every chance in life as a man gets - which is again spot on the way it should be (we should be adding everyone - can't exclude anyone regardless).


Now, I would like to add as a man I've had the following thrown in my face:
  • Expected to support women financially (namely a few ex girlfriends of mine) no we didn't get married nor have children.
  • Expected to open a door for a lady (is equality about being polite? why not hold the door open for me?)
  • Expected to take it like a man, take the insults and the criticisms because I have a backbone.
  • Men can't do more than one thing.
  • Typical "male" - How many times have I heard that I "think between my legs", my second brain, typical man etc.  They can range from jokes to serious comments about my gender - do I take these as severe insults?  well no.  Even though equality means you shouldn't be saying anything that criticises my gender right?  Considering the amount of court cases of sexual harassment can occur with similar things.
Recently there has been a certain MP that went to war to remove the "Page 3" which I can totally understand, I don't think material like that should be easily available in papers.  Even though those models would earn a living for something they choose to do.  Very similar to a certain KK who insists on posting nude pictures of her self and claims it's for feminists.  Sorry to say but that is no different to me posting a picture saying this is for men - ridiculous.


Fighting equality is about fighting womens rights to equal pay, equal treatment and to be no different than the treatment of men.  Simple.  How some one who has never expressed equal rights for women but magically uses it as an excuse to advertise who own naked body?  Then again this is the same woman who conveniently leaked a certain inappropriate video and magically became world known.  She was a nobody before that.


How to move forward
It's pretty simple, a big issue is maternity leave/pay.  I can totally understand from an employers point of view that I would rather choose someone who will give me 5 years with nothing but say 28 days holiday time to use up.  It's not against women, it's not against equality but instead it's against some one that costs the company a lot of money to have children while taking paid time off.  How do we solve that though?  force the man to take maternity leave?  From a personal point of view I want my other half looking after the baby but taking care of her self as well.  Looking after a child is a full time job and she deserves her break just as much as anyone.  So would I mind taking maternity time off as well?  nope not at all.
One problem with that is, would we see a change in interview questions - are you in a relationship? are you engaged? will you be having children any time soon?  would bachelor's/singletons be more preferred?


Is that a fix, a step in the right direction?


Sexual harassment of any kind is wrong
Criticising some one of their gender is wrong, How far do we go though?  till we lose that "backbone" and no longer able to take any joke or criticism.  I don't take everything personal, I am a man, grew up as a man and born a boy.  I grew up with male banter, jokes and learnt that thick skin not to take anything personal.  I have taken criticisms my whole life from women regarding my gender, I'm in my young 30s and I grew up in a world where women are not treated as kitchen house wives.  That was my previous generation as shown by some older men that I've known through the years but the same can be said about the older women who act like men should be providing food/money for the house.
My other half can't take criticisms well and instantly can turn on the insane emotion.  Her friends are all similar, not very good at taking it which is why they don't even joke about it - instead they do it behind each others backs.  My friends who are guys joke to their face, criticise the clothes, the mistakes and anything to the face.


There is a difference between men and women, that's not about equality that's about individuality.  That's the way things have been for a very long time, it's the way we raise our kids, the way a man may protect a daughter and a mum will protect her son.  That's a society issue not an equality issue.


Need more Women
So, something else I see often.  Ten people have had a view on something and only two are women - feminism.  Hold your horses, if I walk down the street and grabbed the first ten people I see regardless of gender and I happen to grab more men than women?  That's got nothing to do with equality.  If I hold interviews which I have done over the years and the majority has been men; this also has nothing to do with equality.  Why should I purposely put "Seeks more women" in a job advertisement just to attract more women to my profession?  Is this in any way related to equality?
No - end of.  This immediately causes a betting odd that would say more men in my profession, would that mean more men are earning more? yes but there will also be more men earning less.  The simple fact is there are more men in my job than women.
In my current profession I've only known 3 women compared to about 40+ men.


I am constantly seeing, comparisons to the amount of men vs women in a lot.  I watch football and see more men interested in the sport than women, is that men putting women down or is that simply lack of interest by women.  Which is true, I know at the top of my head 4 women that love football as much as I do. How many men do I know?  a lot.  Has this got anything to do with equality? no.  Even my other half has no interest in watching the game "It's boring" but she wouldn't mind attending a live game to feel the atmosphere.  Has this got anything to do with equality? no.  There is a constant scape goat being used in regards to equality, if a woman chooses to be interested in football only a small minority of men will have a problem with it.  That small minority are an issue in regards to equality.  I know a lot of men who have no issue in fact, they would prefer it if their other half's were interested in football.  It means no squabble, no fighting or problems over who has the TV.


Real Equality Issues


When a man tells a woman she can't do something because of her gender - that's an equality issue.  When a man refuses to give a job to a woman even though she is better qualified/experienced because of her gender - that's an equality issue.  When a man tells a woman to get her body out, well that's sexual harassment and isn't an equality issue.


When a woman tells a man that he can't do something because of his gender - that's an equality issue.  When a woman refuses to give a job to a man even though he is better qualified/experienced because of his gender - that's an equality issue.  When a woman tells a man to get his body out, well that's sexual harassment.

See what I did there?  Equality is about equal rights to all.  Want to talk about custodial rights as a mother VS father? for a child that doesn't need breast feeding? this is an equality issue.


There is a constant term some feminists are using that men can't fully comprehend what it's like to be a woman.  You are right, men don't fully understand.  Likewise though for a woman to understand what it's like to be a man.  Sexism and equality is a major issue and does affect both men and women but no one can have their cake and eat it.  Equality is about both sides having EQUAL rights in everything and I've used one example on why men don't have equality as well.  I'm not denying the issue is bigger for women because of society and cultures that exist today/in history.


It's not going to be fixed till everyone decides that they want equality, not revenge but equal rights for both men and women.  So question to those who fight for feminists - are you really after equal rights or are you after revenge.  There is a huge difference to showing your body as a woman to showing your body for attention.  If you look at some ones history and that person has done nothing but seek attention - certain reality celebrity - it's NOT feminism.  This entire episode reminds me of celebrities fighting poverty while they live in their 10 room mansion, multiple servants and swimming pools with a maintenance cost of more than I earn in 5 years.  #Hypocrisy


If you spend your life fighting for equal rights - you should do it where it is needed.  Not to seek attention.  Has this reality celebrity gone out of her way to fight equality?  Has she treated men like a walking wallet? - This pretty much does sum up attention seeking and gold digging for this celebrity.  #QuiteSad

No comments:

Post a Comment