Friday 17 June 2016

The bad technicians

Follow me on Twitter
I thought it was time that perhaps I was more honest about my own profession, although I have covered bits and pieces in other posts I want a more detailed one.


So to start of, What type of bad technicians have I worked with?


The lazy one
I'm sad to say but I have worked with plenty of these.  They turn up late and leave early, they are often putting on their coats with 30-45 minutes before home time.  They have zero interest in the job and simply want to prod along doing the least amount possible.  Generally this technician may stick to IT for some years before deciding to move on.


The big apple
I've only met about three of these but for some one in my position they are very obvious.  They don't need to be easy to spot because they will often carry their MacBook with them which they have also duel booted with Windows.  They will insist that Macs are the way forward and are industry standard every where (which isn't the case) and will say they are worth the cost (which again they are not).  I've often mentioned Macs on my other posts, if you buy a device for internet and word why would you spend £1000 on a device which you would never use to its potential.  That would be like purchasing a Ferrari while never driving in anything but a 30MPH zone and remember that Ferrari wont have boot nor passenger space for your family.  In IT terms - it lacks the large amount of compatible software most people use these days.


As a result of being the Pro Apple, this techie at times can lose sight of what's most important for IT Support in a School.  Productivity, Value and Life.  Considering most of the equipment we have on site only is for Internet and Word plus low end department software.  We only have two areas that require meatier machines.


The very ambitious one
I have met a few of these but not many, they are ambitious and tend to be more than happy to do a job for those high above.  They will go the extra mile but again only for those who are important.  This person I wouldn't trust in any single way, they will scheme for my position and yours.  I've purposely put "very" ambitious because I have met those who are ambitious but still willing to keep their hands clean.  This one will lie and cheat their way to the top with least amount of work produced but maximum pay.  They will provide no loyalty to those above even after giving their word of honour.  This is the technician I certainly wouldn't employ.


Does what it says on the tin
This technician isn't perhaps so easily to spot for some, this techie is the one that does what's in their job description and that's it.
Although some may say this one isn't perhaps a negative, I will rate that technician as an average or below bar.  Why?  Because I want my team member to care about the job.  Do I want to have a technician who does the jobs he is asked and that's it?  No.
This one will require supervision quite often to make sure the work is being done and they may not even bother caring about the tomorrow.


Not interested
The lack of interest technician is that poor soul who really doesn't want to work in IT.  This will be the one that moves on to a different profession and never touches IT again.  They have no willingness to learn anything IT, show no interest at home for it and generally would rather be somewhere else doing something else.


The unbreakable or unbendable
This is probably the most frustrating one to work with.  They are very set in their minds and you can't persuade them other wise even when the facts say so.  They are the ones who tend to have a half empty kind of glass.  In education they are relatively easy to spot, they have no push for Teaching and Learning.  They don't sit down and consider what is good for students and staff.  When it comes to IT they have the knowledge and in the business world they would do well but in education where the focus is learning for students and teaching for staff - they do lose their way.  You wouldn't see them at a university but only ever at secondary or primary Schools.  At a University you have consider a Students ability to access not simple IT but any IT to produce the work anywhere.  A good example of this would be VLEs which I will cover in another post.  One thing Universities aim for their systems is the ability to gain access to everything from home.  This is usually because Students bring in their own equipment on site campus and need access to course materials, assignments, questionnaires and everything at their finger tips.  With the way secondary Schools are heading, Universities are ahead of the game.


So the next question is, Who's responsibility is it to weed out these bad technicians?


The Line Manager
No matter what, it is my responsibility to deal with my technicians.  It is my job to make sure I am getting the best out of them for their jobs and for the School.  This means that if they are lazy, not bothered or generally not doing work - that's where I step in.  I've heard quite a few people over the years whine about the technicians yet I take one look at the line manager and totally understand it.  I will not say the fault is entirely down to the technicians, if their work place is poorly treating them then I have no sympathy for the those in charge.  I've seen both sides of the wall and at the end of the day if the techies are working in a good place and treated with respect, there should be no excuse for the technicians to not be doing their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment