Monday 9 January 2017

Review: FFXV 50 hours

Follow me on Twitter


With the 3 hour review (game time) of FFXV it’s time I did a much more broader review.

After having finished the game at around 50 hours with plenty of things to do I find myself no longer playing.  This isn’t really down to the game itself but more like I took a break for Christmas and didn’t get the chance to play it.  I will say this I will find myself willing to play it again at some point probably from scratch.

I can’t stress how much there is to do in this game and even with 50 hours I still had yet finished maxing out so much including fishing/chocobo racing and hunts.  Including that gigantic monster turtle.

I type this up having not touched the game for 2 weeks.  The story was quite satisfying and the characters loveable but there is a slight sour taste in my mouth after the usual Final Fantasy ending.  One thing I can’t stand is the question marks but instead I prefer an ending that shows what the characters all become or got up to later.  One of my favourite endings was actually FF8 during the credit scene where you see the characters not wanting to show their face on camera, be a bit silly etc.

The battles are great fun and the bosses more so, I even explored areas that were above my level and although extremely difficult facing a boss that constantly hits you with status attacks – it was real fun and real achievement feeling.  (although I did burn through a ton of items).

When you travel around by car, chocobo or both you certainly know how massive this world really is.  There’s a lot of open world games at the moment and many of them only feel big because you can’t travel fast.  This game allows you to go by car or chocobo and it really is epic in comparison.

The people feel like real people and as I mentioned in my 3 hour review – the characters with you feel like REAL people and some of their quotes are hilarious.  Some of the tough fights are real tough, some of the easy fights are easy, although the quest system has a question mark on it.. still the game is worth every penny.

This game may not be your favourite but it’s going to be far better than what we’ve had since the likes of 7-10.  This is a classic and will be remembered.  If Square Enix can build upon this game by giving us different kind of content I can stress they may just make a new favourite next time around.  If this game was FF7 with these kind of graphics and battle mechanics, we could well have something special coming our way.  Although FF7 won’t have the same engine it will how ever be very big – it also explains what I’ve tweeted many times that the remake is going ot be BIG.  When you consider how many zones FF7 had.  A single screen background will become a full-fledged 3d environment in typical very good graphics SE style.

FFXV has made me feel much more positive about SE and their handling of FF in general but more importantly FF7 remake.
If you love Final Fantasy games this one is for you, if you enjoy typical RPGs I suggest you try the demo or at least watch how the battle mechanics work.  This isn’t a simple click kill, if you can enjoy these mechanics you will enjoy it.

Conclusion
Puts SE much more updated with FF games and does it very well.  Not perfect but frankly the greatest (questionably) FF games were never perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment