Wednesday 11 May 2016

System from Scratch

An interesting thing I saw the other day - What if I could start a system from scratch.  I will do this post over time - making updates as I go.




I've already covered Cloud so for the moment I will leave that out (minus the Office 365 for the software to all users).


We have a dozen or so servers, ranging from Finance, software, SIMs.net and the DNS/DHCP and DCs.


So server spec - I wouldn't hold back.


DELL - only my preference, I know them, they work, easy to customise and I've had no issues.
www.dell.co.uk


What do I need? Dell Rack Mount PowerEdge -Premiums (personally I would dream of blade)
  • Virtualisation - Hyper-V
  • Memory
  • More than one Processor
  • Space, Space and more Space
  • Room to add more
  • Separate main DC (used to be called Primary Controller)
  • Rack Mounts
So a simple DC server, with a bit of redundancy so any failures the server would continue to run.  This could be setup with a simple RAID to mirror two drives, more than one PSU, spare RAM and perhaps even two processors.  No matter what this little one wouldn't cost too much and would effectively be online doing a simple task 24/7.


Virtual Servers, Going for three of these to improve flexibility, redundancy and reliability.  Ever heard the term for all your eggs in a basket?  The dream would be 5 or even 6 physical boxes with DFS replication between the servers including exchange.  Even in Education, the reliance on IT is very heavy and although failures don't cost millions it instead impacts on Education.  We all see the fines given to Parents who take their kids for one day holidays, the detentions given for lateness or 5 minute lesson wastage - IT is no different.


So in this scenario I will look at three physical boxes.  The primary role on one server will be exchange, the second will be DATA and the third will be SIMs/Finance and any SQLs/Imaging.


This gives an off balance for any data transfers and also allows each physical box to have extra virtual servers based on the performance of each one.


So let's look at the Spec:
  • PowerEdge R730, TPM.
  • Up to 16 2.5" Hard Drives.
  • Xeon E5-2643 v3.3.
  • Upgraded to two processors.
  • 2 CPU with GPU.
  • 8x8 GB RDIMM.
  • No OS (we always install ours and purchase our own licenses).
  • RAID 5 (usually my preference).
  • RAID controller 2GB NV cache.
  • 16x 400GB Solid State (I would normally go for 15K RPM 600GB) - but same price !.
  • iDRAC Enterprise.
  • QLogic 57800 2x10GB.
  • Additional Network Card (QLOGIC).
Don't forget a good UPS for your server solutions. 


Estimated cost for the above is around £20,000 which is about right for a really good server, three of those totally around £60,000.  Considering how much Schools spend on servers over 10-15 Years this is a really good path.
If money wasn't an option, I would consider a high processor choice, likewise for the Solid State to high GB or even TB and more RAM.


How would I setup these Servers?


Small Server:
  • Primary DC
  • Primary DNS
  • Primary DHCP
Virtual Server number 1:
  • Secondary DC
  • Secondary DNS
  • Secondary DHCP
  • Primary Data Storage
  • Extra Server
  • Extra Server
Virtual Server number 2:
  • Exchange
  • DNS
  • DHCP
  • Software
  • Extra Server
  • Extra Server
Virtual server number 3:
  • SIMs Server
  • Finance
  • Imaging
  • Secondary Data Storage
  • CCTV Server
  • Extra Server
  • Extra Server
  • Extra Server
Although this is all based on performance levels, Exchange has a habit of being a memory hungry system.  Our primary data storage has a habit of being very space hungry.


I would even be able to increase each Virtual Server to have more VMs, I'd also like to develop a system to allow Labs for Students studying ICT.


DFS Replication, all based on performance and space requirements but I would consider this in the above 3 Servers.  Although I will admit this is a little overkill but remember I base this on IT reliance of my current job and experience.  I have never worked at a place that didn't rely on IT, it had to work and couldn't be down for a few minutes.  Students work is 75% electronically stored, 98% of Staff work is also stored on the system.  Everyone uses email and records mail dating back 10 Years.  One member of Staff has a mailbox of 25GB. 


Do not underestimate servers, reliance on IT or the future.  It's better to go overkill than finding out in 2 years time you don't have enough.  This server setup should be enough to last you 10 Years with minimal replacements starting 5-7 Years.  Fingers crossed you wouldn't need any heavy expenditure over that 10 Year period.  Technically, depending on IT developments it could even last more - or by that time Cloud would have improved enough to seriously consider.


You may not agree, but by all means let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment