Friday 2 December 2016

Review: 3 Hours of FFXV

Follow me on Twitter.

Finally a game that I’m really enjoying and I don’t feel like this is boring at all.  (SPOILERS)

This game feels like an MMO not just a single player running around a single direction.  Do you ever get the feeling this is what XIII should have been?

I’m going to start off with the tiny complaint about this game which is how the first two minutes started.  It doesn’t cut you in to the action nor does it show a gripping story instead it’s the usual teenager saying good bye to his father but has to push a car by hand.

After this though wow this game not only has brilliant quality but the characters that follow you actually feel like personalities.

So what shall we talk about first?

Combat System
I didn’t play the demo, I didn’t want anything spoilt for me at all from the moment I got XV in my hands I wanted to feel this is totally fresh and new.

The combat systems on RPGs especially the standard click kill or the Skyrim type combat have always been “okay” to me.  Final Fantasy XV though nails it and frankly my only gripe is with the camera system.
The combat system allows you to whizz around, hammer hard the enemy, it’s fast and fluid while still providing difficulty.  It’s very easy to get overwhelmed by the enemy especially in fights with plenty to kill with levels close to you.  I can’t complain about how this system is setup.

The night time battles are also a different touch when Iron Giants come after you.  Not to mention fighting birds which can also be a touch annoying with them dive bombing you but let’s face it they are birds.

Graphics
SE have always nailed quality for the time, XIII was beautiful and XV is even more gorgeous to the point where you can’t help but keep an eye on the horizon.  The characters look real, the cars and the buildings all seem fantastic.  I’ve only played this game for a few hours and still it’s like wow to me.

So what have I done?

Not much really I’ve levelled, explored the open area I’m in and barely done anything in regards to travelling distances.  I’m currently at my second stop and I’ve spent the majority of the time killing monsters, gaining levels and generally just enjoying the game.  The good thing is they have added all kinds of little tweaks to this game so it doesn’t feel repetitive.  I’ve played this strange pinball machine, stood listening to peoples conversations, looked through the photos and saved a few, gone hunting, attempted to kill tougher opponents or generally explored looking for more random items for cooking.  And I’ve still barely scratched the surface – after all we can fish too??  I’ve not rented a chocobo yet and done only a few things to the car.  Not to mention the soundtracks added to the car stereo which is again a lovely touch.

What can I say?  This is the game we wanted when XIII was released.  Not just a stunning adventure but an action packed game with plenty to explore and do.  Although I’ve only played for a few hours I don’t feel like wishing to get to the next stop instead I am happy to go at my own pace.  Enjoy the story when it comes, enjoy the fun of the moment.  This is the game we’ve been waiting for.

Well so far so good anyway right?

No comments:

Post a Comment