Friday 2 December 2016

#Michaela #Education

Follow me on Twitter
If I was back to teaching I must admit..  the thought would dread across my mind as it does in my current job when I know what to expect day to day.

So is it time we’re hard on education, teachers and students? On what we expect from them all (including us support staff).  I work toward the common goal of improving education in my work place.  Although my primary focus will indeed be the IT system my main aim however is certainly making IT work.  Everyone should be able to walk in to any classroom and it just works regardless.  They are all mirrored which means the IT setup is the same in every room.  This creates a consistency of equipment that anyone can operate on site.  If you would like to know more details read through my other posts.

One thing I wanted to touch base on which I can’t lie I may try and even visit this School: #Michaela

A good link with a video is located here: http://www.teachwire.net/news/michaela-school-book-launch

I’ve seen several responses about the control being issued here but think about it.  What exactly are we trying to achieve in education?
·         Every student is pushed to the maximum of their potential preparing them for the future
·         The School conforms to Ofsted inspections and gets the results needed

So why are people so hesitant over this?  Is it because after all they are children and they must enjoy their youth?  That will not stop.
Once they are 18 they are going to be clubbing, partying and nothing really will change.

We’ve often compared to their lack of chances in life because of their upbringing or home life style but isn’t it time we expect them to be more?

I’ve often disagreed with hard line approaches in education but I can no longer pretend that I want the best for my children.    If Schools pushed along the same lines as #Michaela would we see better results? If we did would we question how they got results and claim exams are easier?  Would we then blame good results on other excuses?  Would we question #Michaela’s student intake?

The video in the link with the Head discussing what she expects from the students actually impressed me.  That is indeed a very rare feat after all I don’t impress easy.

Here is questionWill we see this Schools policies being introduced in others? 
We’ve already seen introduction of severe uniform policies or shall we say Schools enforcing them more.  The majority of Schools have similar uniform policies but we are starting to see more enforcement and we all know why.  It educates the children in to knowing what is expected of them especially when they are coming fully prepared for School life.  This has been proven to have a direct result on behaviour which translates to more learning and better results.

In my job instead of dealing with children who are not always forthcoming I end up dealing with adults who I must admit are in that same category.

A lot of people tend to question what exactly do we put up with?
·         It’s never their fault (even after you prove it they are in denial).
·         It’s not their responsibility (it’s their job to teach even about IT – mine is to setup everything so it works).
·         They will criticise the government for late minute curriculum/education changes (even though they give us last minute jobs endlessly).
·         They won’t care about what happens to the IT in a classroom (you know endless damages, things disappearing and kids playing with PCs).
·         Lack of money for education yet will be happy to spend £5000 on something which will be forgotten.
·         Hate to admit they’re wrong about something even if it’s technical.
·         Seem to think we have the time to solve their fridge failing problem or generally anything that uses electricity.

Now this doesn’t include everyone.

It shows that even adults can be complicated and difficult but we’ve allowed teachers to be like this towards support staff.  We’ve allowed this poor attitude where teachers do what they choose with little to no repercussions until lately where education is being scrutinised very hard and rightly so.  Educating our youth is pivotal to the future of this nation and the world.  The examples we set as adults forever ties to the kids.

So with the ever increase demand for education to work, the shadowing Trusts hovering over every Schools head and with only certain kids from certain areas getting jobs.  Is it time it was really all resolved regardless?

I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment